If you are thinking about giving up smoking, we would love to help. It is important to prepare yourself for what is to come and get a plan in place that will help you successfully quit smoking. That is where we can come in. We offer smoking cessation advice that can help you give up smoking indefinitely.
Our trained staff are here to provide you with tips to help you on your journey. We are also here to give you expert advice on Nicotine Replacement Therapy if you need a helping hand initially.
Why Should I Stop Smoking?
When you give up smoking the impact is almost immediate. According to the HSE, here is the timeline of the positive change you will see once you stop smoking;
1. After 20 minutes your circulation will improve, and your blood pressure and heart rate will get lower. This immediately reduces your risk of a heart attack.
2. After 8 hours the nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in your blood go down, and the oxygen level rises.
3. The nicotine and carbon monoxide will have left your body after 48 hours. Your sense of smell and taste will start to improve.
4. After 72 hours your breathing will improve and your energy levels will increase.
5. After 2-3 months your lung capacity could increase by up to 30%.
6. Your chances of having a heart attack drops by half after 1 year.
7. After 5 years the risk of smoking-related cancers is greatly reduced.
8. After 10 years the risk of lung cancer is reduced by half.
9. The risk of having a heart attack is the same as a non-smoker after 15 years.
Tips to Help you Stop;
- Have a plan in place that will work for you and your lifestyle to help you give up smoking for good.
- Identify the triggers that make you crave a cigarette and try to eliminate these where possible.
- Quit with a friend… having someone else going on the journey with you can really help you stick to it.
- Use Nicotine Replacement Therapy to help you beat the cravings. Be sure to talk to one of our trained advisors about the right product for you.
- Treat yourself to something nice from the money you have saved on buying cigarettes.
- Remember the reasons why you are quitting. Remind yourself of these regularly. Writing them down can be quite effective in helping you stick to the plan.
- Exercise can be a great distraction when cravings kick in.
How Can Our Smoking Cessation Advice Help?
At Power’s Pharmacy we can help you stop smoking by;
- Offer advice and tips to help you quit smoking.
- Discuss Nicotine Replacement Therapy and the products that would be most suited to your lifestyle and needs. Some of these products include patches, chewing gums, and inhalers.
- Discuss withdrawal symptoms and prepare you for what to expect when you do stop smoking.
If you are considering quitting smoking, call into our pharmacy to speak to one of our trained advisors. We would love to help you get a plan in place to ensure you are successful in your goal of becoming a non-smoker.